Updating definitions failed virus avg view very exiting
Monday, January 08, 2018 by Adam
AVG virus protection software provides users effective protection against malware. Like any other antivirus tool, you need to keep your AVG protective software updated with the latest virus definitions and security updates to ensure that the latest malware does not breach your system’s security.
Users who have an Internet connection can enable the Automatic Update option that automatically installs new updates as and when they are released. However, at times the AVG update process gets terminated due to various AVG update errors. As a result, the updates do not get installed on your machine.
In this article, we focus on the steps you can perform to troubleshoot the two most common AVG update errors.
AVG Update Error 1
The following errors occur when updating AVG 8.0:
“Invalid Update Control CTF File”
Cause of the Error
Generally, this AVG update error occurs due to corrupt AVG update control files.
To repair the error, you need to delete temporary update files. You can use either of the following two methods to do this.
Method 1 – Remove temporary update files, using the AVG interface
- Double-click on the AVG icon located on the Desktop.
- Open the Tools menu and select Advanced Settings.
- Next, browse to the Manage option in the Update section.
- Next, click the Delete temporary update files button.
- Finally, click the Yes button to confirm removal of the temporary update files.
Method 2 – Manually delete temporary update files
- Open My Computer.
- Navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\update\download folder.
Note: If you are using Windows Vista, browse to the C:\ProgramData\avg8\update\download folder.
- Locate and delete the following files
Note: When you run AVG update after performing either of the above steps, AVG automatically downloads the removed control files and the above error usually does not reappear when you perform updates in the future.
AVG Update Error 2
The following error appears after you install AVG 8.5.420 and run the AVG update manager.
“Update Failed: General Error”
To repair this AVG update error, uninstall the AVG software and then reinstall it again on the computer. To ensure complete removal of AVG software, we recommend you either use the AVG uninstaller or any other reliable third-party uninstaller tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller.
Avoid uninstalling the AVG protective software or any other antivirus tool using the Add or Remove Programs utility. Protective tools, such as AVG, place their files deep into your system for effective functioning and all of these files are not removed by Add or Remove Programs utility.
If the above error still persists after you have reinstalled AVG, perform the following steps to update the software:
- Restart your system and log in with Administrator rights.
- Open Windows Explorer, browse to AVG Program File, and double-click the avgupd.exe file to execute this file manually.
- Restart your computer in Normal mode and run the AVG update.
In case you find the AVG protective software is constantly generating errors when performing updates, you may want to switch to more friendly protective tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease.